To the uninformed, naturopathic medicine, as well as the entire concept of natural medicine, appears to be a fad that will soon pass away. To the informed, however, it is quite clear that naturopathic medicine is at the forefront of the future.
– Michael Murray –
Naturopathic Doctors are guided by six principles, emphasized throughout their naturopathic medical training, providing a framework in their approach to health and healing.
1) First, Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere)
- Utilizing methods and medicinal substances, which minimize the risks of harmful side effects;
- Avoid, when possible, the harmful suppression of symptoms;
- Acknowledge and respect each individual’s healing process, using the least force necessary to diagnose and treat the underlying illness.
2) Support the Healing Power of Nature (Vis MedicatrixNaturae)
- Supporting and restoring the inherent healing ability of the body, mind, and spirit to prevent further disease from occurring;
- Identifying and removing obstacles to recovery, facilitating and augmenting this order and intelligent healing abilities.
3) Identify and Treat the Cause (Tolle Causam)
- To determine and to treat the underlying/root cause rather than simply managing or suppressing the presenting symptoms (viewed as the body’s natural attempt to heal).
4) Treat the Whole Person (Tolle Totum)
- Each person is unique and requires individualized care;
- Treating the entire person, not a specific organ or system of the body;
- Taking into account the physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social, and spiritualincluding any other contributing factors.
5) Doctor as Teacher (Docere)
- Providing knowledge, education and information to allow patients to make an informed decision regarding their bodies and health.
6) Disease Prevention, Healthy Living and Wellness (Praevenire)
- Wellness is inherent in everyone
- Prevention is the best “cure”;
- Emphasize healthy daily habits, assess risk factors and hereditary susceptibility to disease;
- Encouraging individual responsibility for health.